Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Lime Shrimp Tacos with Green Sauce


It's funny how our subconscious works.  Yesterday, I saw a post from one of my favorite cooking blogs, The LatinKitchen in my Facebook feed and without even reading it, clicked to share so that I could go back and read it at a later time.  I didn't think another thing about it and went on about the rest of my social media check ins before heading to bed.  

It was about 5:30 this evening and I was on my drive back home from work trying to figure out what I should feed my family tonight.  I did a quick mental scan of what I thought I might have on hand in the fridge.  I remembered a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer and in the remaining 11 minutes of my commute, concocted a recipe to fit my now mouth watering craving for spicy green sauce shrimp tacos.  It wasn't until I logged in to publish this recipe tonight that I realized that picture from the LatinKitchen the night before must have made a strong impression on my tastebuds and implanted into my brain.  I just looked at the recipe and I'm dying to try theirs next.  Mine is a no frills easy version concocted from ingredients on hand.  

Ingredients for the Green Sauce:
1 tomatillo
1 small tomato
2 jalapeño peppers
1 cup (half bunch) packed fresh cilantro
1/2 cup packed fresh parsley
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Tacos:
1 pound frozen uncooked shrimp
3 limes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T red pepper flakes
1 cup chopped green cabbage
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 dozen soft corn tortillas

Directions:
Core stem from tomato and squeeze out most of the juice and seeds. Place jalapeños, tomatillo and squeezed tomato onto a cooking sheet lined with aluminum foil.  Place under a broiler for 4-6 minutes, turning at least once until skins begin to blacken.  Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.



Slice jalapeño lengthwise and remove stem, seeds and vein.  If you want a very spicy sauce, leave in some or all of the seeds.

Place roasted peppers, tomatillo and tomato into a blender or food processor.  Add remaining ingredients of the green sauce; cilantro, parsley, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.  Blend until sauce is a smooth consistency.


Tacos:
Squeeze juice from two limes onto raw shrimp and set aside.

Heat large skillet on stove top with light coat of cooking spray.  Add minced garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.  Add lime soaked shrimp to skillet.  Sprinkle red pepper flakes and saute.



Wrap stacked tortillas in a wet paper towel and heat in microwave for up to two minutes (depending on your microwave).

Fill tortillas with cabbage, cilantro, and shrimp.  Top with green sauce.

Freeze leftover green sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment