Monday, February 9, 2015

Lomo Saltado (Beef and onions with french fries)


Yep, those are french fries and that's what I love about this dish.  Put a potato on anything and I'll eat it.  My husband says it's the Irish blood in me. I just think it's good taste. I first had this dish at a little hotel villa in the south of Chile in Patagonia and immediately fell in love with it.  I never tried to make it, though until I started ordering it as my main go to item on the menu of a small Mexican/Peruvian restaurant in our neighborhood.  I've never actually looked up a recipe for Lomo, and I guess I should, but this one I just went with my tastebuds.  I'm sure it's not anywhere near an authentic Peruvian or Chilean style dish, but the Chilean in my house thinks it's pretty good.

Ingredients:
1 bag crinkle cut fries
2 pounds flat iron steak (you could use any steak, I suppose, but this cut is great for this dish)
2 T olive oil
1 large yellow sweet onion
6 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and minced
1 large bunch bok choy or 5-6 bunches of baby bok choy; chopped
3 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp salt
Ground black pepper to taste
2 large avocados, sliced

Directions:
Heat oven to 400 degrees and cook french fries until crispy.

While fries are cooking, mix spices together and generously cover steak.  Grill steak to medium.
I use a lot of black pepper on this one but I think pepper is a pretty personal taste, so I'm not going to advise you one way or the other on that one.  I didn't used to put pepper on anything, and now I tend to overdue it a bit.

While steak is cooking, cut onion into generously sized wedges and sauté with garlic with olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.


When meat is done, let sit for 5-6 minutes to let heat dissipate and allow juices to settle.  Slice meat into thin slices.  Add slices to the onion and garlic mixture and cook together until blended and meat is at a temperature that you like.



Add chopped bok choy and tomatoes to the meat and onion mixture.  Cover and steam for 3-4 minutes.  Mix together.  Taste and add additional salt pepper as needed.

Serve and top with french fries and sliced avocados.

Hints:
Other variations that I've seen substitute red onion for the yellow.
Potato variations can include any kind of french fry cut you like or potatoes cut into wedges.  On a busy weeknight with soccer and theatre with the kids, the easiness of a frozen bag of fried from the freezer is appealing to me.
I've made this the day after a big barbecue with the leftover meat.



No comments:

Post a Comment