Saturday, January 17, 2015

Rainy Day Kale and Potato Soup




It's raining today in Oregon.  I mean really raining.  It's the Oregon I know and love and it gets me in the mood to make a good hearty kale soup.   Yes, I said hearty and kale in the same sentence.  I think kale gets a bad rap.  It's not just for green smoothie loving hippie Vegans.  It adds amazing texture and flavor to an otherwise bland broth-based soup.   This is a recipe I've created using a conglomerate of different kale soup recipes I've read.  I use some of my favorite flavorings; garlic, red pepper flakes and oregano.

Ingredients

2 T olive oil
1 large yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
4-6 large yukon gold potatoes or 24 oz bag of baby gold potatoes, cut into bit size cubes
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 16 oz can garbanzo beans
1 32 oz box chicken broth
1 32 oz box vegetable broth
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 bunch curly kale; chopped (approximately 2 cups)
Salt and ground black pepper to taste


Directions

Chop onion, garlic and saute in olive oil in large stock pot until onion is translucent and aroma from garlic is making your mouth water.  Add diced tomatoes, stirring together and let simmer for 3-4 minutes until tomato juices mix with onion and garlic.




Add garbanzo beans, potatoes, oregano, thyme, pepper flakes and broths.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and let simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until potatoes begin to slightly soften.  Add chopped kale, stir and simmer for an additional 8-10 minutes or just until kale is cooked.  Flavor with salt and pepper as you like.

If it's too spicy, add more broth.  I usually get a nice big bowl of this out of the pot for me, and then I add more broth to it for the rest of the "not as spicy" eaters in my house.


Dietary considerations
Vegan friendly: substitute chicken broth for vegetable broth
Gluten free
Dairy free
Egg free
NOT flavor free 

No comments:

Post a Comment